“Do one thing every day that scares you.”― Eleanor Roosevelt
It’s always important to have goals, be they career, personal, health, financial, or more resembling a bucket list. This year, I’m trying something new to help me achieve my adventurous goals. Here is my list of activities that I want to accomplish this year:
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding. This activity has grown in poplarutiy (at least on my radar) in recent years.
2. Hammock camping.
3. Complete a few small backpacking trips. I’ve been wanting to go for a while and have been slowly assembling gear in preperation.
4. Camp more. Camping is one of my FAVORITE things to do in the summer. I’m really hoping things workout to where there will be a lot of camping in my future this year.
5. Road trip around Michigan’s Upper Penisula. This past year I spent more time in the UP (as we Michiganders call it) then ever before. It’s starting to hold a special place in my heart and I want to explore its hidden treasures.
6. Visit a new state- started planning a trip down to Hocking Hills in Ohio. My aunt showed my parents pictures of their trip there and Mom immediately texted me. She told me to check it out. Oh my! It looks so beautiful there! Here is a link to their website if you want to check it out. It looks like a stunning area that I can’t wait to explore.
7. Go kayaking on one of the Great Lakes.
8. Visit more National Parks. Planning on going back to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Also planning an excursion to Isle Royle National Park.
9. Sleep under the stars.
10. Go solo camping. I have never actually done this, I have always gone with one or more person.
11. Take an Outdoor Education class. Learning a new skill to make me a better adventurer, yes please! I’ve been wanting to take a Backcountry first aid class.
12. Go completely off grid for at least 24 hours. Too much of our lives nowadays revolves around our electronic gadgets and it would be a nice change to get away from them.
13. Try rock climbing.
14. See the Northern Lights. My mom has always attempting to get my brother and I out to see the Northern Lights all the time when we were younger but we never rarely successful but not from lack of trying. One time my parents and I barely caught the tail end of this beautiful lightshow.
15. Complete the 365 Mile Challenge (checkout their website is you are interested in it. You have 365 days to complete 365 miles of self propelled activity.)
One could say looking at this list, that my goal this year is to get out and experience nature at its finest. I might not be able to get to everything on my list, but that will give me things to look forward to and start creating my goal list for next year.
What kind of activities do you want to try this year?
Photographs not captioned belong to Sarah’s Adventure Box.